Sunday 17 July 2016

My top 5 favourite books...and why

1.) Rebecca by Daphne Dumaurier(should that m be capital?)
I am not going to go on about this book yet again even though I could for the rest of time. You can just go to my previous post on this wonderful book :)

2.)Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell
I had to put this book close to the top on the list. In fact, it is always competing with Rebecca for first place so I just made a random decision.I just love the... argh how do I even put this-the...atmosphere(?)feeling(?) of the whole book which really stays with it throughout all the brilliant twists and turns in the actual storyline- which is also amazingly fantastic. As is the writing and description. And just the informative aspects of it. I'm going to save myself some time here and just say that it is bloody brilliant!And after writing all this I think its temporarily earned its place back at the top. Sorry Beckie, but I'm sure you'll be up there again soon. After I crack open those dreamy first few pages...dreamy...

3.)The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank
I don't think much needs to or can be said about this book. Of course, it is incredibly sad as well as incredibly well written, though presumably has been the subject of a lot of editing, cutting up and rewriting. It was interesting to have read both a copy of Anne Frank's diary released in 1953 and a copy released in 2013 or thereabouts and to observe the differences in the two. To start with, a lot of the names of the helpers were changed completely in the more modern version, perhaps to make them more familiar and readable to speakers of the language they were printed in but more strikingly, huge sections of the book from the modern version especially parts where Anne talked about more 'private' things were cut from the older version of the book as well as a few short passages and comments she made in which she criticised her parents. I suppose Otto Frank had a lot more control over what went into the book then than now and would have been unhappy with certain images of his family and daughter being released for the public to tear apart and for good reason. But yes, I went a little off topic there and the important thing to say is that it is a very interesting book.

4.)The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More by Roald Dahl
I'm not usually satisfied with short stories. Something about their neat little formula- the way they are so perfect and wrapped up with a bow. The way the three act structure is intolerably obvious and the way the plot twist at the end is so well set up and built upto. And I'm not saying these stories don't follow that formula. By all means they do- to an extreme. But... well...that's what makes short stories good and addictive even if it can be slightly annoying.
 yeah, none of that made any sense, did it...Anywez they're very good. I won't try to go any deeper than that:)

5.)The Code of the Woosters by P.G.Wodeh
*At this point Ida got bored and couldn't be bothered to write any more


P.S> I know my use of commas)) hyphons,- brackets../ full stops- apostrophes and grammar is atrocious.soz




No comments:

Post a Comment